One in two people are afraid to visit their dentist and would quite frankly prefer not spending even 15 minutes with them. If this applies to you, here are some tips to keep smiling:
- Find a trusted dentist by asking those around you for advice. You’ll want a dentist who takes time to explain each step in a simple,,sincere way.
- Ask to visit the clinic and meet the dentist before your first appointment, explaining that you are afraid. Everyone will understand, we promise you!
- Make your appointment in the morning; this way, there’s less time in the day to worry about it and retreat.
- Invite a friend to come along to help you relax.
- Listen to your favourite music on your smartphone during your treatment.
- Remember that technology constantly improves, and most treatments no longer cause pain.
- Finally, rest assured: the first visit is often only a check-up with a simple cleaning or teeth whitening!
Do you or a loved one suffer from “dental phobia” to the point of not having visited the dentist for years? Consult a professional who specializes in dental anaesthesia, or talk to your doctor or psychologist. There are homeopathy treatments and cognitive therapies to help you.