Suffering from bruxism? A simple solution: The bite plate
What is a bite plate?
A bite plate is an acrylic piece moulded to the teeth to be worn day or night to prevent the top teeth from coming in contact with the lower ones.
Who can benefit from a bite plate?
This is an ideal solution for people who suffer from bruxism (clenching and or grinding of the teeth) as well as TMJ (articulation issues) or neuromuscular problems.
What does a bite plate do?
- Absorbs some of the stress of bruxism’s grinding and clenching.
- Relaxes the jaw muscles to ease tension.
- Relieves jaw joints (TMJ) and decreases pain.
- Limits the progression of tooth decay caused by bruxism as well as the deterioration of the supporting bone.
- Broken, fractured or missing teeth
- Premature tooth wear
- Difficulty opening and closing the mouth
- Tooth sensitivity (without decay)
- Sensitive facial muscles in the morning
- Pressure in the area near the ears
- Disturbed sleep
How is a bite plate made?
Using impressions of the teeth, plaster models are made.
They are then sent to the laboratory to make a custom plate.
Fitting the appliance
After the appliance is fitted in the mouth, adjustments might be required to optimize comfort and retention.
Consequences of non-treatment
- Natural teeth and porcelain wear away
- Fractured teeth (sometimes this is irreversible)
- Cracking at the opening or closing of the mouth
- Muscle spasms causing morning headaches
- Implant failure
- Periodontal problems and gum recession
- Disruption of postural control
- And much more!
Call us for an appointment today to learn more about our bite plate treatments.
Approved by Dr Lechner
Dr. François Lechner founded the Prisma Dentistes in TMR more than 30 years ago. Over the course of his practice, he has developed his skills in general and family dentistry and is proud to offer a complete service to his patients. He is also interested in neuromuscular dentistry and the management of sleep disorders.